Alexei Navalny was poisoned with the help of bottled water, which he consumed in a hotel room, said the Russian opposition activist’s associates. An earlier version of the events of August 20 said that the poisoning was supposed to take place at the airport in Tomsk, where Navalny drank tea.
Alexei Navalny was hospitalized on August 20 in Omsk, Siberia. He felt unwell on a plane flying from Tomsk to Moscow and lost consciousness. At the family’s request, two days later, he was transported by air ambulance to the Charite Clinic in Berlin, where he underwent a detailed examination and intensive treatment. He was awakened from a pharmacological coma last week.
In early September, German Chancellor Angela Merkel announced that the Bundeswehr’s laboratory, which examined the samples taken from Navalny, had discovered that he had been poisoned with a combat chemical agent from the Novichok group. Germany and France demanded that Moscow investigate the matter and bring those responsible for the attack to justice.
The first speculations of Alexei Navalny’s associates suggested that the poison was to be administered to the oppositionist at the airport in Tomsk, where he drank tea just before his departure.
However, according to the information provided by the politician’s team on Instagram, Navalny was poisoned with the use of bottled water, which he drank in a hotel room in Tomsk. This version was to be confirmed by a German laboratory.
The Instagram entry was accompanied by a video in which you can see how colleagues and a politician’s lawyer pack water bottles into plastic bags. According to the information provided by the opposition team, the material was produced on August 20, right after some of the people from Navalny’s surroundings who were still in Tomsk learned about the incident on the plane. They immediately went to the hotel room to secure any traces.
Reuters, Instagram / @ Nawalny, PAP
Main photo source: PAP / EPA / HAYOUNG JEON