Virgil van Dijk and Alisson Becker errors gifted Arsenal a 2-1 victory as Liverpool’s hopes of breaking the Premier League factors report have been dashed.
Sadio Mane regarded to have set the champions on the right track for one of many three victories they wanted to surpass Manchester Metropolis’s report 100-point haul with the opener on 20 minutes on the Emirates.
However the bedrocks of Liverpool’s title triumph handed Arsenal a half-time lead, as uncommon Van Dijk and Alisson errors have been ruthlessly punished by Alexandre Lacazette and Reiss Nelson’s first Premier League aim.
And, regardless of a commanding second-half efficiency, Liverpool have been unable to forestall a 3rd defeat of the season as Arsenal climbed to ninth after their first victory over Jurgen Klopp’s aspect in 5 years.
Arsenal: Martinez (7), Cedric (6), Holding (7), Luiz (7), Tierney (7), Nelson (8), Xhaka (7), Torreira (6), Saka (6), Pepe (6), Lacazette (8).
Subs: Maitland-Niles (6), Ceballos (5), Willock (5), Aubameyang (5), Kolasinac (n/a).
Liverpool: Alisson (4), Alexander-Arnold (6), Gomez (6), Van Dijk (4), Robertson (7), Fabinho (6), Wijnaldum (6), Oxlade-Chamberlain (6), Salah (7), Firmino (6), Mane (7).
Subs: Keita (5), Minamino (6), Shaqiri (n/a), Origi (n/a).
Man of the Match: Alexandre Lacazette
How Liverpool lapses gifted Gunners win
A close to full-strength Liverpool have been dominant from the outset and have been practically gifted the opening aim on 13 minutes when Roberto Firmino charged down goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez’s torpid clearance, sending the ball cannoning off the bottom of the put up.
It was solely a matter of time earlier than the champions transformed their dominance, as Mane rounded off a flowing assault with a easy end from Andrew Robertson’s pin-point cross on 20 minutes.
- Mikel Arteta made 5 adjustments from the defeat at Spurs as Cedric Soares, Rob Holding, Reiss Nelson, Lucas Torreira and Buakyo Saka have been recalled into the Arsenal beginning line-up.
- Trent Alexander-Arnold and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain returned as Liverpool made two adjustments from the draw with Burnley.
It appeared to be enterprise as regular for Liverpool as they stifled Arsenal, however then two pillars of their Premier League title-winning season conspired to present the Gunners the lead out of nowhere.
The normally flawless Van Dijk succumbed to Nelson’s excessive press, relinquishing possession to Lacazette, who rounded Alisson and stroked the equaliser into the empty web.
It was Van Dijk’s first error that led to a aim within the Premier League since March 2019, and issues quickly took a flip for the more severe for the champions as goalkeeper Alisson’s free go was intercepted by Lacazette, who squared to Nelson to rifle his first league aim for the Gunners.
Liverpool re-emerged from the break on prime and decided to proper the wrongs on the primary interval, and practically drew degree on 54 minutes when Mohamed Salah drew a fingertip save from Martinez.
2016 – Liverpool have gone in behind at half-time regardless of scoring the opening aim for the primary time since December 2016 vs West Ham; that sport was additionally the final time they made two errors main on to a aim within the opening half. Shaken. pic.twitter.com/k2ig5mZMUX
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) July 15, 2020
The introduction of Takumi Minamino energised the Liverpool assault however he shanked a shot large earlier than Salah planted a header straight into the arms of Martinez, as desperation crept in because the seconds ebbed away.
Substitute Ainsley Maitland-Niles did simply sufficient to place Mane off from hauling Liverpool degree as he fired large on the close to put up with two minutes remaining, moments earlier than Joe Willock missed the prospect to seal the Arsenal victory with a wild sliced shot from Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s centre.
The ultimate throw of the Liverpool cube noticed Trent Alexander-Arnold’s deflected drive draw a shocking save from Martinez at full stretch within the fifth minute of stoppage time, however the Gunners stood agency to heat up for Saturday’s FA Cup semi-final with Manchester Metropolis in model.
Opta stats: Gunners lastly get one over Klopp
- Arsenal have overwhelmed Liverpool for the primary time within the Premier League since April 2015 (4-1), with this being the primary time Jurgen Klopp has suffered defeat towards the Gunners within the competitors (W5 D3 L1).
- Liverpool suffered their first Premier League defeat in a sport they opened within the scoring in since April 2017 (1-2 v Crystal Palace), ending a run of 83 consecutive league video games with out dropping after scoring the opening aim.
- This was Arsenal’s first Premier League win towards the workforce beginning the day prime of the desk since February 2016 (2-1 v Leicester), having misplaced every of their earlier 5 such video games earlier than tonight.
- Liverpool have conceded 10 targets of their final 5 Premier League away video games (W1 D1 L3), as many as they’d of their earlier 19 league video games on the highway.
- Arsenal’s equaliser got here following Virgil van Dijk’s first error resulting in a aim within the Premier League since March 2019 (for Liverpool v Fulham), whereas it was additionally the Gunners’ first shot of the sport.
Arsenal tackle Manchester Metropolis within the FA Cup semi-finals on Saturday at 7.45pm, journey to Aston Villa on July 21 at 8.15pm and full their Premier League season at dwelling to Watford at 4pm on July 26.
Liverpool host Chelsea at 8.15pm on Wednesday, with the sport and post-match trophy raise free-to-air on Sky Sports activities, earlier than finishing their title-winning season with a final-day task at Newcastle at 4pm on July 26.