On Sunday, Armenia was accused by the Azerbaijan defense ministry of breaking the humanitarian truce in Nagorno-Karabakh. Earlier, Yerevan had made similar accusations against the Azerbaijani army. The pact between the parties to the conflict entered into force on Saturday night.
“On October 18, starting at 7.00 am, the enemy launched an offensive in the Agderin and Fisulin regions towards the cities of Hadrut and Jebrail. The Azerbaijani army is trying to thwart these actions” – the defense ministry in Baku said in a statement. It has been added that the Armenian side used mortars and artillery.
Yerevan makes similar accusations against Azerbaijan. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Armenia informed that the Azerbaijani troops carried out the first artillery fire during the night and repeated this action in the morning. “The armed forces of Azerbaijan have violated the ceasefire agreement in the field of humanitarian aid. On October 18, at 7.20 am, Baku was attacked from noon and this is the second time that Baku has broken the ceasefire as a result of the personal intervention of the OSCE Minsk Group,” the communique reads.
“Armenia will continue to take all measures to impose peace on Azerbaijan”
Earlier on Sunday, a spokeswoman for the Armenian Ministry of Defense, Shushan Stepanjan, said on Twitter that “the enemy was firing artillery northwards between 0.04 and 2.45 hours and fired rockets south between 2.20 and 2.45”.
“Armenia will continue to take all necessary measures to impose peace on Azerbaijan, establish a ceasefire and implement clear and effective mechanisms for maintaining and controlling this system,” said the Foreign Ministry in Yerevan.
Fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh
On Saturday evening, the foreign ministries of both countries published an identical announcement saying that the decision to cease fire and conclude a “humanitarian truce” was made in accordance with the statements of the OSCE Minsk Group leaders, ie France, Russia and the USA.
READ MORE. “Humanitarian truce” in Nagorno-Karabakh >>>
The parties to the conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh agreed a ceasefire last weekend, but this did not stop the fighting. On Friday, the Azerbaijani city of Ganja was once again the target of an Armenian rocket attack. Previously, Azerbaijani forces bombed the capital of Nagorno-Karabakh – Stepanakert.
Baku said on Saturday that 60 Azerbaijani civilians have been killed and 270 injured since the outbreak of fighting on September 27. The military casualties were not disclosed. Nagorno-Karabakh reports that 633 of its soldiers and 36 civilians were killed.
Main photo source: PAP / EPA / AZERBAIJAN DEFENSE MINISTERS