Be prepared for the fact that the children will go to school. This pandemic could go on for many more months. We cannot continue to function in such a state of limbo – said the Mayor of Poznań, Jacek Jaśkowiak, in “Fakty po Faktach”. – For sure, the presence of children and youth in schools will be the more difficult solution, so this signal is needed as soon as possible – emphasized the president of Toruń, Michał Zaleski.
Last week, the Minister of National Education Dariusz Piontkowski informed that the Ministry of National Education is working on regulations that will guarantee the safety of students after they return to schools on September 1. According to the announcements of the ministries of education and health, the decision on the possible closure of the school due to the epidemiological situation is to be made by the head of the institution in consultation with the poviat sanitary inspector.
Guests of Friday’s “Fakty po Faktach” were asked about the possibility of students returning to school on September 1. – We are waiting for a signal (…) that should come as soon as possible. Even if it is a little overly cautious, even if it contains elements of some uncertainty, but [powinniśmy wiedzieć – przyp. red.]in what direction are we going. Will children and teenagers be with us in schools, do we need to prepare these schools, or will they still learn remotely? – the mayor of Toruń, Michał Zaleski, wondered.
– I think it is easier to prepare for more difficult solutions. Certainly, the presence of children and teenagers in schools will be the more difficult solution, so this signal is needed as soon as possible – he added.
“We are already waiting with such anxiety”
The Mayor of Toruń remarked that “we should have the right to be informed about how we will be able to run these institutions”. He pointed out whether there will be “space limits per young person attending school, whether temperature measurement issues need to be solved or internal logistics issues in school buildings, which often see several hundred children at the same time”.
– We are already waiting with such anxiety, asking for this signal – said Zaleski.
“We cannot continue to function in this state of limbo”
The Mayor of Poznań, Jacek Jaśkowiak, said that “you should be prepared for the fact that the children will go to school”. – This pandemic could go on for many more months. We cannot continue to function in such a state of limbo – he stressed. – We are monitoring the level of infections in Poznań. We observe the data that comes to us from the hospital that serves almost the entire Greater Poland, we also see the results of the drive thru tests that have been made available, the guest of “Facts Po Faktach” mentioned.
– I assume that the children will return to school, because there are also elements related to the work performed by their parents. We must return to normalcy, we must learn to live with such a pandemic in the background – emphasized Jaśkowiak.
He also admitted that “as soon as possible, we should receive from the government, from the minister, relevant information, including those related to costs.” – If additional activities, disinfection or other elements are necessary in these schools, then in a situation where we already bear much more than 50 percent of the costs of running schools, the question is whether the government will be able to reimburse them in any way – added.
“We’re talking about a completely different scale”
The President of Toruń, Michał Zaleski, asked if local governments are able to bear the costs of carrying out tests for education employees and if he anticipates it, replied that “certainly not”. – We took this action when we were opening kindergartens and kindergarten units in primary schools. We have done about 800 such studies. Fortunately, it turned out that these final, i.e. genetic tests, did not show any positive results – he said.
– We incurred the related costs, but now we are talking about a completely different scale. Over 3,000 ladies and gentlemen of teachers work in Toruń schools. They would also like to know if somewhere along the way they have caught on this unfortunate coronavirus and will go with it to others – he noted.
Due to the COVID-19 epidemic, classroom classes were suspended in schools and kindergartens from March 12. From March 25, compulsory distance learning was introduced and schools operated in this mode until the end of classes, until June 26.
Main photo source: TVN24