I’ve a really dangerous behavior of by accident touching my cellphone’s display screen, which frequently leads to going a web page ahead or again within the e-book I’m studying or leaving the YouTube video I’m watching — or going to a special TikTok video than the one I used to be simply having fun with. As well as, if I’ve to take a cellphone name or reply a Slack message, I can lose monitor of the place I used to be.
Often, that is a straightforward repair: I can simply again as much as the earlier web page of the e-book or try my YouTube historical past. However sadly, it’s not as straightforward with TikTok, which doesn’t have a easy technique to verify the historical past of which movies you’ve watched.
For instance, the day I began scripting this, I by accident swiped out of movies I used to be watching a minimum of two instances and was unable to instantly get again to them. And since I couldn’t keep in mind the identify of the creator, I used to be primarily sunk.
What to do?
Effectively, if I had been sensible shortly sufficient to “like” the video — or comply with the creator — it could have been straightforward:
- Faucet on the “Me” icon within the lower-right nook.
- In the event you “preferred” the video, faucet on the center icon beneath your profile to see thumbnails of all of the movies you’ve preferred.
- In the event you’re following the creator, faucet on the “Following” hyperlink slightly below your username to see a listing of all of the creators you’re following. Then faucet on that particular person to see thumbnails of all their movies.
Nevertheless, when you haven’t but preferred the video or usually are not following that creator — one thing that usually occurs to me — then one of the simplest ways to search out your watch historical past is to obtain it.
- Go to your profile web page (by tapping the “Me” icon within the backside proper), and faucet on the three traces within the upper-right nook.
- Choose “Privateness” > “Personalization and knowledge” > “Obtain your knowledge”
- Beneath the “Request knowledge” tab, choose whether or not you need to obtain your knowledge as a TXT file or a JSON file, and faucet “Processing request”
And wait. Sadly, this isn’t a quick course of; it may very well be a minimum of 24 hours — or extra — earlier than your knowledge is made obtainable. Till then, when you go to the “Obtain knowledge” tab, you’ll see a grayed-out “Pending” button.
It took about three days earlier than I noticed the pink “Obtain” button seem beneath the “Obtain knowledge” tab. It took me to the online model of TikTok, the place I needed to sign up once more and was lastly capable of obtain a zipped file of my knowledge. After I unzipped the file, I went to the Exercise folder, the place I discovered textual content recordsdata for Favourite Results, Favorites Sounds, and so forth — together with one labeled “Video Looking.” It was there I lastly discovered a listing of dates and URLs for the movies I’d been .
As soon as your knowledge is on the market, it is possible for you to to obtain it for as much as 4 days. By the point you lastly get it, after all, you’ll have fully forgotten which video you needed to return to or why. However it doesn’t harm to have a document of all of the movies you’ve checked out — and it’s possible you’ll be shocked at simply what number of there are.