What a transgender person hears and people around him address him has very serious, concrete repercussions for his mental condition. Using a given name reduces the risk of deep depression, suicidal thoughts or suicide attempts, and this by as much as 65 percent – said Emilia Wiśniewska, president of the Trans-Fuzja Foundation in an interview with tvn24.pl. Commenting on Krystyna Pawłowicz’s entry about a transgender child – deleted after several dozen hours – she judged that “maybe it came from simple thoughtlessness, certainly due to a lack of education”.
Krystyna Pawłowicz on Twitter, she published information on a transgender child on Tuesday. Pawłowicz provided the child’s data (name and age), the school the child attends and the headmistress of the facility. She wrote about the resolution according to which teachers will refer to the child using a female first name at the parents’ request. “The data on marital status records has been disregarded,” she said.
After a wave of criticism and announcements of taking action, among others, by the Office of the Ombudsman, Pawłowicz deleted her Tuesday entry on Thursday. She later wrote that she did not want to “hurt the baby” and that she apologized to them.
Emilia Wiśniewska, president of the Trans-Fuzja Foundation, in an interview with tvn24.pl said that “her name is important to every person”, and “for transgender people the name used says a lot about who they really are”.
“Addressing a transgender person by the given name is a basic expression of respect”
– In the case of transgender people, apart from the name used, we have something like “dead name”, which is a name that we have written in documents after birth and which at the same time does not correspond to our gender identity – explained Emilia Wiśniewska. She stressed that “addressing a transgender person by the given name is a basic expression of respect, recognition and acceptance for their identity”.
– It happens that what a transgender person hears, when people around him or her talk to him, has very serious, specific repercussions for the mental condition of transgender people – Wiśniewska pointed out.
– Using a given name reduces the risk of severe depression, suicidal thoughts and suicide attempts by as much as 65 percent. So this is no small thing. This is very important for transgender people and is such a basic testimony that they are respected, recognized that what they say about themselves is respected – she continued.
“Such a declaration must be followed by some further steps”
The president of Trans-Fuzja said that acceptance for trans-genders “is not something that can be simply checked with a single sentence like: yes, I accept it”. – Such a declaration must be followed by some further steps. For example, that having declared to a transgender person that we accept them, for this to be true, this name should be used when talking to this person, referring to the name used for a transgender person – she explained.
Wiśniewska added that a common problem faced by many transgender people is that “they hear such declarations of acceptance, recognition right after being out in front of someone as a transgender person, and then by the same people who declared that they were with it. OK, they even hear just reminders of their ‘dead name’ “.
“It has already happened unfortunately”
Although Pawłowicz removed her entry, according to Wiśniewska, “what really determines here whether the case is closed is the peace that victims of this tweet deserve”.
– However, something like this happened, the young person, child and relatives of this person were exposed to unwanted media exposure, their private life became a media topic – she said. “Unfortunately it has already happened,” she added.
According to the interviewee of tvn24.pl, “what is good here is that the child and his relatives can count on support from the environment, and this is something that changes this situation in some way”. She emphasized that it was very important to support the school, which “gave the child the opportunity to function in accordance with his identity”.
– Whether Judge Pawłowicz wanted to hurt someone or not does not change what happened for specific people – she assessed. According to her, the Tuesday entry “may have come from simple thoughtlessness, certainly due to a lack of education”. – On the other hand (…) the factor of one’s own thoughtlessness does not change the fact that it can be harmful to others – she said.
“For transgender people, part of safety and appropriate development conditions is that they are accepted in the school environment”
The president of the Trans-Fuzja Foundation emphasized that “there is no provision that would prohibit addressing a child at school with the first name used, in accordance with his / her identity”.
– From certain provisions, be it the Educational Law or the Teachers’ Charter, it can be concluded that it is the school’s duty to provide learners with security and conditions for development – said Wiśniewska. – For transgender people, part of this safety and proper development conditions is that they are accepted in the school environment – she assessed.
According to the interviewee of tvn24.pl, “even if in the law we have, we do not have the indicated obligation to refer to a transgender person by the given name, how do we think about what it means to be safe and good development conditions for a transgender person, then (… ) it is the recognition of her identity, addressing her by the given name, using the appropriate pronouns “.
Main photo source: Shutterstock