Prince Philip is still in hospital receiving treatment for an infection, Buckingham Palace announced. The statement says that although Queen Elizabeth’s husband is doing well, it is not expected that he will leave the hospital any time soon. The prince has been in the hospital for a week.
Philip, the 99-year-old Duke of Edinburgh and husband of Queen Elizabeth, was hospitalized in a London hospital King Edward VII on Tuesday night. In a statement issued the next day by Buckingham Palace, it said that on the advice of a physician, the Duke had made a preventive visit to the hospital, where he would stay for several days for observation and rest.
According to sources at Buckingham Palace quoted at the time by British media, his hospital stay is not related to the coronavirus. The prince is taken to the hospital in an ordinary car, not an ambulance, and walks around the hospital without anyone’s help.
Treated “in connection with infection”
In a statement on Tuesday, Buckingham Palace said Prince Philip was in a hospital “receiving medical treatment for an infection.” “He is fine and responding to treatment, but is not expected to leave hospital in the next few days,” it wrote.
On Tuesday, Prince Edward assured Sky News that his father was feeling much better. “As far as I know, and I spoke to him the other day, he feels much better,” he said. He added that the 99-year-old “is looking forward to going out, which is the most positive thing.”
The day before that Prince Philip was well assured his grandson, Prince William. Last weekend, his eldest son and heir to the throne, Prince Charles, visited him in the hospital.
In early January both Prince Filip and 94-year-old Elizabeth II were vaccinated against COVID-19. They were given the vaccine at Windsor Castle, where they have spent most of their time since the outbreak began. It was not later reported whether they had also received a second dose of the vaccine.
BBC and Reuters sources said at the time that the Queen wanted the information public to cut through any further speculation on whether and when she would be vaccinated. Buckingham Palace provides very little information about the health of the royal family.
Health problems of the 99-year-old prince
In 2017, Prince Philip retired from his duties and has rarely appeared in public since then. He was last seen in public in July last year, handing over the ceremonial role of the commander of the regiment of The Rifles, the British Army’s infantry regiment, to his daughter-in-law, Princess Camilla.
In recent years, the prince has increasingly suffered from various ailments. In 2011, he was treated for a blocked coronary artery, and a year later – for a bladder infection, which forced him to miss the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. In June 2013, he underwent abdominal surgery, and in 2014, at the age of 93, he began using hearing aids.
In June 2016, due to a minor ailment, he did not participate in the celebration of the centenary of the Battle of Jutland, and in December 2019 – he spent four days in the same hospital, where he was now, due to “pre-existing ailments”, but was discharged from it before Christmas Eve .
In January 2019 Prince Philip caused a minor road accidentafter which he gave up further independent driving. He was not injured then and was not taken to hospital, even as a preventive measure.
Main photo source: PAP / EPA / WILL OLIVER