About the Mateusz Morawiecki will go to Budapest on Thursday for a meeting with Victor Orban, government spokesman Piotr Muller said on Tuesday. Krzysztof Sobolewski, head of the executive committee PiS, later announced that the prime ministers of Poland and Hungary would establish a common position on the draft EU budget.
– As we know perfectly well, Hungary was the first to veto the proposal to link the rule of law with EU funds, with the EU budget itself – Sobolewski said in radio Jedynka. He added that after Hungary “said the veto” and Poland threatened to use it, there was “rethinking the subject” during the German presidency of the EU Council.
Dworczyk: Polish-Hungarian relations could be a model for other EU countries
He was asked about Morawiecki’s planned visit to Hungary in Polsat News Michał Dworczyk, head of the Chancellery of the Prime Minister. In his opinion, Poland and Hungary maintain partnership relations that “could be a model for other EU countries”. – Both countries treat each other seriously, both countries – bearing in mind their national interests – are able to work out a compromise – assessed Dworczyk.
– I am convinced that we will manage to convince other EU members to be based on fundamental values also this time – he added.
The head of the Chancellery of the Prime Minister also referred to the resolution adopted by the Senate on Wednesday, which calls on the government to accept the negotiated draft EU budget and to withdraw from the threat of veto “contrary to Polish raison d’etat”. It was supported by 49 senators. 47 senators from PiS and Lidia Staroń from the Circle of Independent Senators voted against.
– The Senate has no legal basis to pass such binding acts. It can express opinions, but it is not binding. This opinion also goes against the document passed with a large majority of votes by the Sejm. The Sejm resolution supports the government in its efforts to ensure compliance with the Treaties, Dworczyk said in Polsat News.
– I am extremely critical of this opinion and the activity of the Senate. This opinion weakens the position of the Republic of Poland. Does it weaken the government’s position? No. On behalf of the Republic of Poland, the government is trying to ensure that the EU respects the treaties and that it treats all its members as partners and subjectively. If we forget about these rules, the Union has no future – emphasized the politician.
“The prime minister showed and shows an intransigent position at the EU forum”
Dworczyk was also asked to comment on the words of the Minister of Justice Zbigniew Ziobro, who stated that during the negotiations of the EU budget, Poland must “clearly express its opinion”. – You cannot be a crumb in negotiations, you have to be tough. You have to be able to look after the interests of Poland, said Ziobro. Was it a personal allusion to Morawiecki? It is worth recalling that a leader already a few months ago Solidarity Poland he called for a veto in the event of linking the Community budget with respect for the rule of law.
– I do not think so. The prime minister demonstrated and demonstrates an intransigent position on the EU forum, defending Poland’s sovereign interests. He has shown many times that he can oppose the stronger countries, if their actions can be interpreted to the detriment – Dworczyk replied.
Poland and Hungary do not agree to the adoption of the Community budget for 2021-2027 and the reconstruction fund after pandemic due to the addition of a mechanism making the payment of money dependent on the rule of law. The Polish government argues that there are no sufficient guarantees that the treaty rights of the member states will be respected. Poland emphasizes that it wants an agreement on the EU budget as soon as possible, but cannot agree to the attached conditionality mechanism.