The leadership of the Law and Justice party knows the expectations of the Agreement, the most important thing is that we talk to each other, said Deputy Prime Minister and leader of the Agreement, Jarosław Gowin, referring to the tensions in the government camp. Earlier, in an interview for Super Express, he said that “today we have a choice: we will either agree or we will have early elections during the year”.
In an interview with Super Express, Gowin said that a year has passed since he left the government in protest against the organization of presidential elections by correspondence. – I have no doubt that the attempt to overthrow the legal Covenant authorities was a revenge for my attitude from a year ago. (…) To all those whom I consider to be jointly responsible for the unsuccessful political attack on me, I said it face to face. I consider the matter closed – said the head of the Agreement.
“I am fully aware that we are a party after the transition”
When asked about the condition of the coalition, he admitted that the natural differences between the coalition partners and the politicians forming the coalition had recently exceeded the critical mass. “However, it is possible to turn back from this path. The smaller coalition partners – the Agreement and Solidarna Polska – recognize the leading role in the United Right of PiS. We expect that PiS will also show respect for the coalition partners,” he said.
“We have a choice today: we will either agree, or we will have early elections during the year. I believe that we will be able to reach an agreement, but everyone – I emphasize: everyone – must take a step back” – added the Deputy Prime Minister.
Gowin: I am considering the possibility of starting both from the United Right’s lists and creating a new coalition
Asked if he envied his colleagues from Solidarna Polska that the latest poll forecasts that they would exceed the election threshold, which the Agreement cannot count on at the moment, Gowin replied that his party had much greater coalition abilities. – I am fully aware that we are a party after the transition. Last year was a time of attacks on us, some of our colleagues were guilty of treason. Nevertheless, we have a clear roadmap and proven ranks, ‘he said.
He expressed the conviction that by 2023 the Agreement would be able to stand in the elections on its own. – Of course, I am also considering the possibility of both starting from the United Right’s lists and creating a new center-right coalition – he reserved.
“Poland has gone through this year of the global crisis on a relatively dry foot”
When asked if he was not afraid of an increase in unemployment after the end of the first anti-crisis shields, which made state aid dependent on maintaining jobs for a year, he replied that there were no such concerns.
– On the contrary. All forecasts show that the problem of the Polish economy is still the lack of labor, not the excess. Economically, Poland went through this year of global crisis with a relatively dry foot due to three factors. Firstly, due to the diversification of the Polish economy, including the strong role of industry. Secondly, due to the enormous determination of hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs and millions of Polish employees who spared no efforts to save their companies. This was combined with a very well-thought-out and organized government aid campaign, i.e. various shields – mentioned the Minister of Development.
At the same time, he admitted that the coming months and years would be difficult for the Polish economy, and that some of the companies affected by the greatest crisis, especially in gastronomy and tourism, unfortunately will not survive the pandemic.
“We must listen to each other’s arguments better and more carefully”
Jarosław Gowin also spoke about the situation inside the United Right at a press conference in Olsztyn. The Covenant Leader was asked about possible scenarios should the parties forming the ruling coalition fail to reach an agreement.
– First of all, I am convinced that an agreement within the United Right is fully possible, it is achievable. We must listen to each other’s arguments better and more carefully. Secondly, the only alternative to this government in the current parliament are early elections. This is a bad scenario for Poland and I am convinced that this scenario can be avoided – said Gowin.
As he said, there are no political talks with the opposition. – On the other hand, as representatives of the government, we consult with the opposition the National Reconstruction Plan all the time – he explained.
“The management of the Law and Justice party knows the expectations of the Agreement”
Gowin was asked about the expectations of PiS in connection with his interview for “Super Express”.
– It is not that we have any expectations, especially they should not be expectations formulated through television cameras. There has been a certain pool of misunderstandings and differences within the government camp – he said.
– The only thing I expect is that we sit down to talks and remove these misunderstandings step by step – said the Deputy Prime Minister.
– The management of the Law and Justice party knows the expectations of the Agreement, the most important thing is that we talk to each other. I hope that such talks will take place. More than once and not immediately, they will take place successively, and the unity of the United Right camp, weakened in recent months, is – in my opinion and in the opinion of the Agreement – possible to be rebuilt, he added.
“Yours sincerely, Mr. Marshal Terlecki, yes in Krakow”
The politician was also asked about the words of the deputy speaker of the Sejm, the head of the PiS club Ryszard Terlecki, who said on Wednesday in an interview with journalists that he would gladly “get rid” of the coalition partners of Law and Justice.
– I cordially greet Marshal Terlecki, so in Krakow – replied Gowin.
“Each of us politicians is responsible for their own words”
During the conference in Olsztyn, the leader of the Covenant was also asked to refer to the recent speech of the PiS president Jarosław Kaczyńskicritical of possible cooperation with the opposition, which he described – referring to declarations of some parties – as “total opposition”.
Journalists asked Gowin for an excerpt from the PiS president’s interview for Wednesday’s “Gzaeta Polska”, when he describes the actions of the parliamentary opposition as “cancer of Polish politics”.
– Each of us politicians is responsible for their own words – commented the president of the Agreement.
Main photo source: PAP / Tomasz Waszczuk